15 - Socrates without Plato: the Accounts of Aristophanes and Xenophon
In the first of several episodes on Socrates, Peter discusses his portrayals in "The Clouds" of Aristophanes and in the works of the historian Xenophon.
• S. Ahbel-Rappe and R. Kamtekar (eds.), A Companion to Socrates (Oxford: Blackwell, 2005).
• D.R. Morrison, Bibliography of Editions, Translations and Commentary on Xenophon’s Socratic Writings, 1600-Present (Pittsburgh: 1988).
• W. Prior (ed.), Socrates: Critical Assessments of Leading Philosophers, 4 vols (London: 1996).
• D.K. O’Connor, “Socrates and Political Ambition: The Dangerous Game” in Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy 14 (1998), 31-52.
• M. Trapp, Socrates from Antiquity to the Enlightenment (Aldershot: 2007).
• P.A. Vander Waerdt (ed.), The Socratic Movement (Ithaca: 1994).
• Xenophon, Conversations of Socrates, trans. H. Treddenick and R. Waterfield (London: 1990).
Aristophanes, "The Clouds": online text