328. Old News: Introduction to the Italian Renaissance
A first look at the themes and figures of philosophy in the Italian Renaissance.
• C.S. Celenza, “What Counted as Philosophy in the Italian Renaissance? The History of Philosophy, the History of Science, and Styles of Life,” Critical Inquiry 39 (2013), 367-401.
• P.F. Grendler, Schooling in Renaissance Italy: Literacy and Learning, 1300-1600 (Baltimore: 1989).
• J. Hankins and A. Palmer, The Recovery of Ancient Philosophy in the Renaissance: a Brief Guide (Florence: 2008).
• J.M. Najemy, Italy in the Age of the Renaissance (Oxford: 2004).
• P.O. Kristeller, Medieval Aspects of Renaissance Learning (Durham: 1974).
For more general reading see the page for the whole series of episodes.