275. Keeping it Real: Responses to Ockham
Walter Burley flies the flag for realism against Ockham and other nominalists.
• P.V. Spade (trans.), History of the Problem of Universals in the Middle Ages: Notes and Texts: freely available as an online text.
• A.D. Conti, “Ontology in Walter Burley’s Last Commentary on the Ars Vetus,” Franciscan Studies 31 (1971), 121-76.
• A.D. Conti (ed.), A Companion to Walter Burley, Late Medieval Logician and Metaphysician (Leiden: 2013).
• W. Courtenay, Adam Wodeham: an Introduction to his Life and Writings (Leiden: 1978).
• E. Karger, “Walter Burley’s Realism,” Vivarium 37 (1999), 24-40.
• J. Pelletier, "Walter Chatton on Enumerating the Categories," Vivarium 54 (2016), 1-24.
• C. Rode (ed.), A Companion to Responses to Ockham (Leiden: 2016).
• P.V. Spade, “Some Epistemological Implications of the Burley-Ockham Dispute," Franciscan Studies 35 (1975), 212-22.
• K. Tachau, Vision and Certitude in the Age of Ockham (Leiden: 1988).
Special issue of the journal Vivarium on medieval realism: issue 37.1 (1999).
Stanford Encyclopedia: Walter Burley
Stanford Encyclopedia: Walter Chatton
Thanks to Martin Lenz for his comments on a draft version of this episode!