• R. Helgerson (trans.), Joachim du Bellay: The Regrets, with The Antiquities of Rome, Three Latin Elegies, and The Defense and Enrichment of the French Language (Philadelphia: 2006).
• N.R. Shapiro, Lyrics of the French Renaissance: Marot, Du Bellay, Ronsard (New Haven: 2002).
• H. Busson, Le Rationalisme dans la Littérature Française de la Renaissance (Paris: 1971).
• I. De Smet, “Humanist Culture in Renaissance France,” in M. Moriarty and J. Jennings (eds), The Cambridge History of French Thought (Cambridge: 2020), 33-40.
• A. Lefrance, Grands écrivains français de la renaissance (Paris: 1914).
• F. Gray, Gender, Rhetoric, and Print Culture in French Renaissance Writing (Cambridge: 2000).
• W.L. Gundersheimer (ed.), French Humanism 1470-1600 (London: 1969).
• T. Hampton, Literature and Nation in the Sixteenth Century: Inventing the French Renaissance (Ithaca: 2001).
• D.O. McNeil, Guillaume Budé and Humanism in the Reign of Francis I (Geneva: 1975).
• D. Kelley, Foundations of Modern Historical Scholarship: Language, Law and History in the French Renaissance (New York: 1970).
• A.H.T. Levi (ed.), Humanism in France at the End of the Middle Ages and in the Early Renaissance (Manchester: 1970).
• J.-C. Margolin, “Humanism in France,” in A. Goodman and A. MacKay (eds), The Impact of Humanism on Western Europe (London: 2014), 164-201.
• J.H.M. Salmon, Renaissance and Revolt: Essays in the Intellectual and Social History of Early Modern France (Cambridge: 1987).
• P. Sharratt, French Renaissance Studies, 1540-70: Humanism and the Encyclopedia (Edinburgh: 1976).
Sound theme for French Renaissance?
There is still not a link on https://historyofphilosophy.net/links as far as my feeble vision testifies. It is even more intriguing that the Czech translation of the song is extremely famous https://youtu.be/jMTYMnMfD3w and you have firmly planted a Ohrwurm into my head.
Thank you for great new episodes.
This is actually a recording by philosopher Helen de Cruz, playing Tourdion by Attaignant on her lute! You're right, I should add that to the links. She did it especially for the podcast, I think I mention this in the first French Renaissance episode.
Add new comment