315. Wiser Than Men: Gender in Byzantium
The role of women in Byzantine society and the complex attitudes surrounding eunuchs: did they make up a “third gender”?
• L. James (ed.), Women, Men and Eunuchs: Gender in Byzantium (London: 1977).
• A. Kaldellis, Mothers and Sons, Fathers and Daughters: the Byzantine Family of Michael Psellos (Notre Dame: 2006).
• B. Neil and L. Garland (eds), Questions of Gender in Byzantine Society (London: 2016).
• K.M. Ringrose, The Perfect Servant: Eunuchs and the Social Construction of Gender in Byzantium (Chicago: 2003).
• A.-M. Talbot, Women and Religious Life in Byzantium (Aldershot: 2001).
• S. Tougher, The Eunuch in Byzantine History and Society (London: 2008).
Dumbarton Oaks online Bibliography on Gender in Byzantium