231. Origin of Species: Roger Bacon
Roger Bacon extols the power of science based on experience and uses a general theory of "species" to explain light and vision.
• T. Crowley, Roger Bacon: the Problem of the Soul in his Philosophical Commentaries (Louvain: 1950).
• J. Hackett, Roger Bacon and the Sciences (Leiden: 1997).
• D.C. Lindberg, Roger Bacon’s Philosophy of Nature (Oxford: 1983).
• T.S. Maloney (trans.), Roger Bacon: On Signs (Toronto: 2013).
• G. Molland, “Roger Bacon and the Hermetic Tradition in Medieval Science,” Vivarium 31 (1993), 140-60.
• A. Power, Roger Bacon and the Defense of Christendom (Cambridge: 2012).