42. In Good Taste: The Aesthetics of Rasa
Bharata’s Nāṭya-Śāstra and later works from Kashmir explore the idea of rasa, an emotional response to drama, music, and poetry.
• M. Ghosh (trans.), Nāṭyaśāstra of Bharata (Varanasi: 1950-67).
• S. Pollack (trans.), A Rasa Reader: Classical Indian Aesthetics (New York: 2016).
• A. Amaladass, Philosophical Implications of Dhvani: Experience of Symbol Language in Indian Aesthetics (Vienna: 1984).
• A. Chakrabarti (ed.), The Bloomsbury Research Handbook of Indian Aesthetics and the Philosophy of Art (London: 2016).
• E. Gerow, Indian Poetics (Wiesbaden: 1977).
• K.M. Higgins, “An Alchemy of Emotions: Rasa and Aesthetic Breakthroughs,” Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 65 (2007), 43-54.
• S.L. Schwarz, Rasa: Performing the Divine in India (New York: 2004).
Thanks to Malcolm Keating for advice on this episode!