29. Practice Makes Perfect: Patañjali’s Yoga-Sūtra
Yoga as presented by Patañjali offers a practical complement to the Sāṃkhya theory of the cosmos and the self.
• M. Burley, Classical Sāṃkhya and Yoga: an Indian Metaphysics of Experience (London: 2007).
• M. Eliade, Yoga: Immortality and Freedom (Princeton: 1970).
• M.S.A. Ferraz, “Some Remarks on the Yogasūtra,” Philosophy East and West 59 (2009), 249-62.
• K.A. Jacobsen (ed.), Theory and Practice of Yoga: Essays in Honour of Gerald James Larson (Delhi: 2008).
• G.J. Larson and R.S. Bhattacharya, Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies, vol.XII: Yoga, India’s Philosophy of Meditation (Delhi: 2008).
• I. Whicher, The Integrity of the Yoga Darśana: a Reconsideration of Classical Yoga (Delhi: 2000).
• I. Whicher and D. Carpenter (eds), Yoga: the Indian Tradition (London: 2003).