51- The Next Generation: the Followers of Plato and Aristotle
Peter wraps up Plato and Aristotle by discussing their followers: Speusippus and Xenocrates (the “Old Academy”), and the polymath Theophrastus.
• H. Baltussen, Theophrastus against the Presocratics and Plato (Leiden: 2000).
• J. Dillon, The Heirs of Plato: a Study of the Old Academy (Oxford: 2003).
• W.W. Fortenbaugh, P.M. Huby, R.W. Sharples and D. Gutas, Theophrastus of Ephesus: Sources for his Life, Writings, Thought and Influence (Leiden: 1992).
• L. Tarán, Speusippus of Athens (Leiden: 1981).
• H. Tarrant, “Speusippus’ Ontological Classification,” Phronesis 19 (1974), 130-45.
• Theophrastus, On First Principles, ed. and trans. D. Gutas (Leiden: 2010).