361. The Measure of All Things: Renaissance Mathematics and Art
The humanist study of Pythagoras, Archimedes and other ancient mathematicians goes hand in hand with the use of mathematics in painting and architecture.
• R. Sinisgalli (ed. and trans.), Leon Battista Alberti: On Painting (Cambridge: 2011).
• C.L. Joost-Gaugier, Pythagoras and Renaissance Europe: Finding Heaven (Cambridge: 2009).
• Anthony Grafton, Leon Battista Alberti: Master Builder of the Italian Renaissance (Cambridge, MA: 2002).
• M.A. Peterson, Galileo’s Muse: Renaissance Mathematics and the Arts (Cambridge MA: 2011).
• P.L. Rose, “Humanist Culture and Renaissance Mathematics: the Italian Libraries of the Quattrocento,” Studies in the Renaissance 20 (1973), 46-105.
• P.L. Rose, The Italian Renaissance of Mathematics: Studies on Humanists and Mathematicians from Petrarch to Galileo (Geneva: 1975).