87 - A God is My Co-Pilot: the Life and Works of Plotinus
Peter introduces Plotinus, the greatest philosopher of late antiquity and the founder of Neoplatonism.
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
For the works of Plotinus the best English translation is that in the 7 volume Loeb series, by A.H. Armstrong. The evocative older translation of S. MacKenna is available here or from Penguin books. Both include Porphyry’s Life of Plotinus.
• G. Clark, “Philosophic Lives and the Philosophic Life: Porphyry and Iamblichus,” in T. Hägg and P. Rousseau, Greek Biography and Panegyric in Late Antiquity (Berkeley: 2000), 29-51.
• R. Dufour, Plotinus: A Bibliography 1950–2000 [special issue of Phronesis] (Leiden: 2002).
• L.P. Gerson, Plotinus (London, 1998).
• L.P. Gerson (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Plotinus (Cambridge: 1996)
• D. O’Meara, Plotinus: an Introduction to the Enneads (Oxford: 1993).
• J.M. Rist, Plotinus: The Road to Reality (Cambridge: 1967).