67 - The Philosopher King: Marcus Aurelius
The life and thought of Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and author of the classic text of Stoic self-examination, the Meditations.
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
• E. Asmis, "The Stoicism of Marcus Aurelius,” Aufstieg und Niedergang der Römischen Welt II.36.3 (1989), 2228-52.
• P. Hadot, The Inner Citadel: the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, tr. M. Chase (Cambridge MA: 1992).
• F. McLynn, Marcus Aurelius: Warrior, Philosopher, Emperor (London: 2009).
• Marcus Aurelius, The Meditations, trans. G.M.A. Grube (Indianapolis: 1983).
• J. Rist, “Are You a Stoic? The Case of Marcus Aurelius,” in B.F. Meyer and E.P. Sanders (eds), Self Definition in the Greco-Roman World (Philadelphia: 1982).
• R.B. Rutherford, The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius (Oxford: 1989).