51- The Next Generation: the Followers of Plato and Aristotle
Peter wraps up Plato and Aristotle by discussing their followers: Speusippus and Xenocrates (the “Old Academy”), and the polymath Theophrastus.
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
• H. Baltussen, Theophrastus against the Presocratics and Plato (Leiden: 2000).
• J. Dillon, The Heirs of Plato: a Study of the Old Academy (Oxford: 2003).
• W.W. Fortenbaugh, P.M. Huby, R.W. Sharples and D. Gutas, Theophrastus of Ephesus: Sources for his Life, Writings, Thought and Influence (Leiden: 1992).
• L. Tarán, Speusippus of Athens (Leiden: 1981).
• H. Tarrant, “Speusippus’ Ontological Classification,” Phronesis 19 (1974), 130-45.
• Theophrastus, On First Principles, ed. and trans. D. Gutas (Leiden: 2010).