29 - What's in a Name? Plato's Cratylus
Peter discusses Plato's contribution to the philosophy of language, the Cratylus, a dialogue which uncovers a theory of Heraclitean flux hidden within ancient Greek.
• R. Barney, Names and Nature in Plato's Cratylus (London: Routledge, 2001).
• G. Fine, "Plato on naming," Philosophical Quarterly 27 (1977), 290-301.
• M.M. Mackenzie, "Putting the Cratylus in its place," Classical Quarterly 36 (1986), 124-50.
• M. Schofield and M. Nussbaum (eds), Language and Logos (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982).
• D. Sedley, Plato's Cratylus (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003).