• D.M. Brodie (ed.), Edmund Dudley: Tree of Commonwealth (Cambridge: 2014).
• S. Lockwood (trans.), Sir John Fortescue: On the Laws and Governance of England (Cambridge: 1997).
• T.F. Mayer (ed.), Thomas Starkey: A Dialogue Between Pole and Lupset (London: 1989).
• A.L. Beier, Social Thought in England, 1480-1730 (London: 2016).
• S.A. Chavura, Tudor Protestant Political Thought 1547-1603 (Leiden: 2011).
• S.B. Chrimes, English Constitutional Ideas in the Fifteenth Century (Cambridge: 1936).
• P.A Fideler and T.F. Mayer (eds), Political Thought and the Tudor Commonwealth: Deep Structure, Discourse and Disguise (London: 1992).
• S. Hindle, The State and Social Change in England, 1550-1640 (Basingstoke: 2000).
• W.R.D. Jones, The Tudor Commonwealth 1529-1559 (London: 1970).
• T.F. Mayer, Thomas Starkey and the Commonweal: Humanist Politics and Religion in the Reign of Henry VIII (Cambridge: 1989).
• J. Woolfson, “Between Bruni and Hobbes: Aristotle’s Politics in Tudor Intellectual Culture,” in J. Woolfson (ed.), Reassessing Tudor Humanism (Houndsmills: 2002), 197-222.
Hi, Will we have an episode on British scholasticism?
Indeed we will! It will focus especially on John Mair, I think, but also look at John Case for instance. This is scheduled to come along in autumn after a mini-series on British literature, in which several themes will be pursued in connection with Shakespeare's plays (e.g. witchcraft and Macbeth).
Whew!! That's good news.. I…
Whew!! That's good news.. I thought we would skip it..
For your convenience
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING THE BRITISH REFORMATION
Mehmet, Peter has kindly and helpfully provided a preview at:
Thanks a lot. I have missed…
Thanks a lot. I have missed that post. It seems that the scope is somewhat expanded compared to https://historyofphilosophy.net/what-to-expect-reformation, which is good news.
Oh yes quite a bit actually - the next episode is on Hooker, something I hadn't originally planned on, and there will be more Shakespeare than originally advertised.
Add new comment