87 - A God is My Co-Pilot: the Life and Works of Plotinus
Peter introduces Plotinus, the greatest philosopher of late antiquity and the founder of Neoplatonism.
For the works of Plotinus the best English translations are the 7 volume Loeb series, by A.H. Armstrong, with facing page Greek, or the newer English version under the general editorship of L.P. Gerson: Plotinus: The Enneads (Cambridge: 2018). The evocative older translation of S. MacKenna is available here or from Penguin books. Both include Porphyry’s Life of Plotinus.
• P. Adamson, Studies on Plotinus and al-Kindī (Aldershot: 2014).
• G. Clark, “Philosophic Lives and the Philosophic Life: Porphyry and Iamblichus,” in T. Hägg and P. Rousseau, Greek Biography and Panegyric in Late Antiquity (Berkeley: 2000), 29-51.
• R. Dufour, Plotinus: A Bibliography 1950–2000 [special issue of Phronesis] (Leiden: 2002).
• E.K. Emilsson, Plotinus (London: 2017).
• L.P. Gerson, Plotinus (London, 1998).
• L.P. Gerson (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Plotinus (Cambridge: 1996).
• L.P. Gerson and J. Wilberding (eds), The New Cambridge Companion to Plotinus (Cambridge: 2022).
• D. O’Meara, Plotinus: an Introduction to the Enneads (Oxford: 1993).
• J.M. Rist, Plotinus: The Road to Reality (Cambridge: 1967).