In the first of several episodes on Socrates, Peter discusses his portrayals in "The Clouds" of Aristophanes and in the works of the historian Xenophon.
Socrates and Plato
Beginning with episode 15, Peter looks at Socrates and how he paved the way for Plato -- with whom philosophy might be said to come of age. Episodes on Plato investigate the literary and philosophical features of such famous dialogues as the Meno, Phaedo, Republic, Parmenides, and Timaeus, as well as lesser known works like the Euthydemus, the Charmides and the Cratylus. Look for interviews with Raphael Woolf, Fiona Leigh, Frisbee Sheffield and MM McCabe.
• Plato, Complete Works, ed. J.M.Cooper and D.S. Hutchinson (Hackett: 1997).
• S. Ahbel-Rappe and R. Kamketar (eds.), A Companion to Socrates (Oxford: 2006).
• T.C. Brickhouse, and N.D. Smith, Plato’s Socrates (Oxford: 1994).
• G. Vlastos, Socrates: Ironist and Moral Philosopher (Cambridge: 1991).
• H. Benson (ed.), A Companion to Plato (Oxford: 2006).
• G. Fine (ed.), 1999, Plato 1: Metaphysics and Epistemology, and Plato 2: Ethics, Politics, Religion, and the Soul (Oxford: 1999).
• R. Kraut (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Plato (Cambridge: 1992).